Pastor's Wives
I haven't blogged on here in awhile. Honestly, it is because I try to keep my kiddo/family blog updated so that family can keep up with them.
But this morning as I opened my morning email a friend of mine had sent me a couple of articles to read, one was Mark Driscoll's blog with a specific article on Loving the Pastor's Wife and the other was a friend of hers response to his blog. I have to say that both were very good and both brought good points to the surface. However, being in the ministry, specifically the ministry forefront I can relate more to Driscoll's post. I don't necessary agree with everything but I can relate to it better.
Before you read on, I encourage you to read Driscoll's blog post (Loving the Pastor's Wife). One so you will be familiar with what I am referring to and second so you can form your own opinion. This is my take on his blog post.
But this morning as I opened my morning email a friend of mine had sent me a couple of articles to read, one was Mark Driscoll's blog with a specific article on Loving the Pastor's Wife and the other was a friend of hers response to his blog. I have to say that both were very good and both brought good points to the surface. However, being in the ministry, specifically the ministry forefront I can relate more to Driscoll's post. I don't necessary agree with everything but I can relate to it better.
Before you read on, I encourage you to read Driscoll's blog post (Loving the Pastor's Wife). One so you will be familiar with what I am referring to and second so you can form your own opinion. This is my take on his blog post.
"One of the most important and most overlooked people
in a church is the pastor’s wife. She is usually not on the
organizational chart, does not have a formal job title or job
description, and is an unpaid volunteer. But her ministry
can make or break her family and church."
I have to say I completely agree with this. When we first entered the ministry 3 1/2 years ago I don't know that I would have agreed but over the past few years I have learned I play a big role how things go in our family and church. I'm not on an ego trip or anything like that but as a wife and mom think about it. If your having a bad day it can carry over to your husband, your kids, your friends and even your church. It is no different for the pastor's wife.
There is a cost to be in ministry not just monetarily but emotionally, physically and spiritually. There is a cost for your kids, your spouse and your families. All of these things are over looked a lot of times when people look at the pastor and his family. I am not saying we mind to pay a cost I am just saying that often times people/church members don't think about the cost or what might be given up to serve them as commanded by God.
Sundays are very stressful in our house! And after talking to many pastor's wives most agree that Sundays are stressful in their houses as well. I honestly feel like the devil is working his hardest on us on Sundays. I can fully understand why he compared pastor's wives to single mothers. Let me just say I am in no way equal to a single mother, she has so much more to do, to keep going and to accomplish then I do or will ever have to do but in a lot of ways I am like one. Because the duties of a pastor do not stop when he comes home, is gone for the day or is on holiday I am forced to do a lot of things by myself or on my own. These things can range from short vacations home to TN to doctor appointments to just keeping our home tidy and livable. But Sunday mornings are still the worse. He goes to church early to prepare, to pray and to meet with the deacons. This leaves me to get both our girls ready. (this can range from breakfast to getting dressed and sometimes a bath if we were unable to get them done the night before) Then in the last few minutes before church is starting I am getting myself ready. There are so many times I walk into church feeling like I just threw myself together just to get there on time. (and sometimes not even on time and we live next door to the church)
As a pastor he is NEVER, let me repeat NEVER off duty.
I am very blessed that we serve in a church that is very considerate of me and my family. They don't just show up at our house (we have to almost drag them to our house), they don't expect me to fill any certain position, to be a certain way, for my kids to do things a certain way or expect them to be angels. I know we won't always have it this good. But I am thankful that God made our first church like this, one that loves on my husband, myself and kiddos tremendously.
With all this said, as a pastor's wife I want to be human. Just another church member who is able and willing to serve where I am needed.
I pray everyday for all my friends who are pastor's wives. It is a life like no other. However, it is a blessed life that God has called us to. The road my be lonely and hard sometimes but it is all to serve an Almighty God.
Comments
Post a Comment