Hospitable
This is my next struggle.....to be hospitable, well more hospitable than I am now. (or I hope I am) I said in a prior post that being a pastor's wife is hard, I am viewed through a very dark lens (Friend or Not) and sometimes I feel as though my hospitality suffers.
I have a hard time with the thought of anyone dropping by and my house looking....well a mess. And while their in my messy house, asking to use the bathroom....because we all know it probably isn't clean, the toilet needs a cleaning, the bathtub has soap scum built up and there is probably hair (whether facial or head) on the sink counter. I would be utterly embarrassed! Or what if your trash needs to go out, your kids toys are all over the house, your bedroom is an absolute DISASTER. But what if I stand at my front door and never invite them in.....because I am ashamed of my bad house keeping. Am I hospitable?
I don't want to be viewed through that dark lens with even more criticism than I might already be. However, one of the books I am reading (Queen of the Castle 52 weeks of encouragement for the uninspired, domestically challenged or just plain tired homemaker) : Entertaining says, "I want to impress you with my beautiful home, my clever decorating, my gourmet cooking." Hospitality, however, seeks to minister. It says, "This home is not mine. It is truly a gift from my Master. I am his servant and I use it as he desires." Hospitality does not try to impress, but to serve.... Entertaining looks for a payment-the words, "My, isn't she a remarkable hostess"; a return dinner invitation; a job advancement for self or spouse;esteem in the eyes of friends and neighbors. Hospitality does everything with no thought of the reward but takes pleasure in the joy of giving, doing, loving, serving.--Karen Mains,Open Heart, Open Home
So I want show hospitality in everything I do! Hospitality comes in so many different forms. Sometimes it means crying with a friend or neighbor, staying up way past your bed time to listen to the pain in someone elses life, to pray with someone you don't know because they need a cry out to God and you are the one to do it on their behalf. I so want to be hospitable! To invite people into our homes is to respond with gratitude to the God who made a home for us.--Lauren F. Winner, Mudhouse Sabbath
I leave you with this quote from Queen of the Castle. Well, now. I probably shouldn't have curdling milk in the fridge if I'm inviting someone over for tea, and it might be nice if I emptied the kitchen trash can and didn't leave dirty clothes all over the bathroom floor. But to be a hostess, I'm going to have to surrender my notions of Good Housekeeping domestic perfection. I will have to set down my pride and invite people over even if I have not dusted. This is tough: My mother set a high standard. Her house is always immaculate, most especially if she's expecting company. But if I wait for immaculate I will never have a guest.--Lauren F. Winner, Mudhouse Sabbath
Verses to keep in mind:
Romans 12:10-13
Matthew 25:35-40
1 Peter 4:9-10
I have a hard time with the thought of anyone dropping by and my house looking....well a mess. And while their in my messy house, asking to use the bathroom....because we all know it probably isn't clean, the toilet needs a cleaning, the bathtub has soap scum built up and there is probably hair (whether facial or head) on the sink counter. I would be utterly embarrassed! Or what if your trash needs to go out, your kids toys are all over the house, your bedroom is an absolute DISASTER. But what if I stand at my front door and never invite them in.....because I am ashamed of my bad house keeping. Am I hospitable?
I don't want to be viewed through that dark lens with even more criticism than I might already be. However, one of the books I am reading (Queen of the Castle 52 weeks of encouragement for the uninspired, domestically challenged or just plain tired homemaker) : Entertaining says, "I want to impress you with my beautiful home, my clever decorating, my gourmet cooking." Hospitality, however, seeks to minister. It says, "This home is not mine. It is truly a gift from my Master. I am his servant and I use it as he desires." Hospitality does not try to impress, but to serve.... Entertaining looks for a payment-the words, "My, isn't she a remarkable hostess"; a return dinner invitation; a job advancement for self or spouse;esteem in the eyes of friends and neighbors. Hospitality does everything with no thought of the reward but takes pleasure in the joy of giving, doing, loving, serving.--Karen Mains,Open Heart, Open Home
So I want show hospitality in everything I do! Hospitality comes in so many different forms. Sometimes it means crying with a friend or neighbor, staying up way past your bed time to listen to the pain in someone elses life, to pray with someone you don't know because they need a cry out to God and you are the one to do it on their behalf. I so want to be hospitable! To invite people into our homes is to respond with gratitude to the God who made a home for us.--Lauren F. Winner, Mudhouse Sabbath
I leave you with this quote from Queen of the Castle. Well, now. I probably shouldn't have curdling milk in the fridge if I'm inviting someone over for tea, and it might be nice if I emptied the kitchen trash can and didn't leave dirty clothes all over the bathroom floor. But to be a hostess, I'm going to have to surrender my notions of Good Housekeeping domestic perfection. I will have to set down my pride and invite people over even if I have not dusted. This is tough: My mother set a high standard. Her house is always immaculate, most especially if she's expecting company. But if I wait for immaculate I will never have a guest.--Lauren F. Winner, Mudhouse Sabbath
Verses to keep in mind:
Romans 12:10-13
Matthew 25:35-40
1 Peter 4:9-10
I know exactly how you feel. I go into a panic trying to get the house simply presentable when I know company is coming. I think we too often forget that we need to be a Mary in our Marth world. We need to be reminded of what Jesus told Martha about all of her business as she worried about the household chores while Mary was more hospitable by spending time with their guest. Food for thought! Wish I could swallow it!!!!!! Sure would be less stressful!!!!!!
ReplyDelete