Homesick

I've been reading multiple things right now. The Bible, From One Minister's Wife to Another (which I highly recommend, it was given to me by another pastor's wife), Cultivating Contentment, Infinite Grace and Managing Your Moods (which are all part of the Women of Faith Study Guide and devotional series).

Tonight I am in Cultivating Contentment and my study is on Restless Souls. So often I find that my soul is restless for many different things but most of all for things I know, things I am accustom to and things that I cherish. In the Clearing the Cobwebs section it ask: "What smell, sight or sound brings back pleasant memories of childhood for you?" Do you ever stop to think about that question? I do and I do it often.  Sometimes it is the oddest things you would like of. I can walk in someones house and it may smell just like my grandparents did (which was a wonderful memory) or every time I open Isabella's dresser drawers I am reminded of my grandmother (since it was in her house) or when I fix a meat loaf with my mother's recipe the way it smells cooking or hug from a church member who wears the same cologne as my daddy almost brings me to tears because I miss them so much . There are so many smells, sights and sounds I find that my soul often becomes restless and homesick for.

So yes there are many things that I am homesick for. And this is one of my greatest struggles. I will talk about this often because I deal with being homesick on a daily basis.  But I keep going back to the chapter in this book and reread the scripture and pray for God to settle my soul.

Comments

  1. In an earlier comment I expressed "You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl". I think we always yearn for the place where we were raised. We always want to get back to our roots. This has become a greater stuggle for me lately because of the increasing health problems of both my parents and Davids. It is hard to be so far away and not be able to be there for them to help them out. Also, my kids barely know my sisters kids. With David being an only child and my only having 1 sibling, that is all the family we have and we barely know one another. That leaves an open feeling that God has to help me through often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be called upon

7 realities of being a pastor's wife

Here we go again......